A dear friend is coming for a visit, and I am wondering what to prepare for our lovely time together. Not too complex, as I really do not have much energy to spear and not to heavy as hours later, dinner still awaits.
Thinking of something light and easy, my thoughts are drawn to a recipe I have recently read in Tom Kerridge’s cook book “Loose weight for good”. Not yet fully committed to his low carb dietary guidelines, I am slightly adapting the recipe to suit our needs. As a last minute action, I am looking through our kitchen cupboards for the necessary ingredients, wondering who might have artificial sweeteners at home at their beg and call? Certainly not me for the moment and this humble low calorie dessert is destined to turn out as a full pleasure treat.
And what a treat it is! The smooth and soothing mixture of cream cheese, yogurt, crème fraîche, vanilla, honey and lime is something irresistible and clever. Crushing amaretti, as a base for the dessert, adds an extra kick and in combination with fresh and sweet passion fruit and mango, the overall experience transcends the senses to the highest heaven.
This beautiful and light dessert could be celebratory grand finale of an amazing multi-course dinner or just a special treat for someone special.
- 2 sheets of leaf gelatine
- 16 amaretti biscuits
- 1 lime (finely grated zest + juice)
- 2tbsp granulated sugar
- 150g light cream cheese
- 250g crème fraîche
- 150g Greek yogurt
- 1 vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped
- 1tbsp honey
- 150g mango, diced
- 4 passion fruits, halved
- Fresh mint leaves
1. Place the gelatine leaves in a shallow dish, cover with cold water and leave to soak for about 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, put the biscuits into a strong plastic bag and bash with a rolling pin to crush to crumbs. Divide between four small glasses.
3. Heat the lime juice and 1 tbsp sugar in a small pan over a medium heat. When hot, take the pan off the heat. Immediately lift the gelatin out of its water and add it to the hot liquid, stirring until dissolved. Leave to cool until barely tepid.
4. In a large bowl, whisk the cream cheese, crème fraîche, yoghurt, lime zest, remaining 1 tbsp sugar, honey and the vanilla seeds together until smooth. Whisk in the cooled gelatine mixture.
5. Spoon on top of the biscuit bases in the serving glasses and spread evenly. Chill in the fridge to set for at least 2 hours.
6. For the topping, mix the mango and passion fruit pulp and seeds together and spoon on top of the cheesecake pots. Finish with fresh mint leaves.