It is a late summer afternoon and just like that we feel like having something. Not too much, so we do not spoil our dinner, not too sweet so we keep a healthy lifestyle… Something tasty, something light, something to keep the little hunger away while still delighting all the senses. Something closely resembling the famous English high-teas with freshly baked scones and cucumber sandwiches. Yes, I admit, I am watching too much Pinterest. But there is hardly too much of a good thing, and when it comes to things bringing joy and happiness it is usually a good thing to indulge.
Too lazy to make scones, all my attention goes to the cucumber sandwiches – little toasts of cottage cheese, topped with perfect round circles of cucumber, cherry tomato and radish slices, sprinkled with sunflower and pumpkin seeds and garnished with fresh oregano. This is our high-tea English heaven!
The cottage cheese is something special, grainy and soft, it usually does not have much taste on its own and goes well both with savoury and sweet. It resembles very much crème fraîche, but is a way more healthy option. It is the perfect accompaniment to a toast and the star ingredient of our canapés today – something little, something light, tasting sublimely great!
- 2 slices of square bread (cut diagonally)
- 125g cottage cheese
- cherry tomatoes
- sunflower and pumpkin seeds
- black pepper
- fresh oregano leaves
1. Cut the slices of bread diagonally into even triangles. Toast them for a couple of minutes until golden brown.
2. Spread evenly spoonfuls of cottage cheese on each toast. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Cut the cucumber, tomatoes and radishes into even circles.
4. Arrange on top of the cottage cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Garnish with fresh oregano leaves and sprinkle sunflower and pumpkin seeds.