My husband loves seafood, so much so, that hardly a week passes by without cooking something delicious. Lobster, scrimps, calamari, fish… we have family recipes for it all. But making fishcakes is a first! Yes, I have cooked Thai fishcakes before, but a classic potato fishcake recipe, somehow have never been on our menu.
Granted, cooking fishcakes takes some time, but ultimately it is worth every bite! A golden crunchy perfection melts into mellow potato and fish mash. A squeeze of lemon juice and a mayo dip make the humble fishcake sing! As a starter of a festive meal or simple Sunday lunch, home made fishcakes have quickly become family favourites and a real crowd pleaser!
Serves 4 People
- 400g pangasius filets or white fish
- 500g potatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- ½ tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 11/2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 150g white Panco bread crumbs
- Ground black pepper
- Vegetable butter for frying
- Lemon wedges
- Green salad
1. Peel the potatoes and cut them in disks. Place them in a dish, suitable for a microgolfoven plus some water and cook for 12 min on 700W, or until tender. Remove the excess water and let them cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 200C. Grease two large pieces of foil with a little butter. Sit both fish filets on the foil, season with salt and ground black pepper, then wrap to make a parcel.
3. Place the foil parcels on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes. Set aside and let the fish cool.
4. Tip the potatoes into a bowl. Mash them and stir the parsley, chives, lemon zest, mayonnaise, mustard and season with salt and ground black pepper. Break the fish into large pieces and gently stir into the mash without breaking the pieces up too much.
5. Shape into fishcakes. Dip each fishcake in the beaten eggs on both sides so it is well covered, then coat in the breadcrumbs. Pat to reshape. Chill for about 30 minutes.
6. Melt some vegetable butter in a non-stick frying pan. Fry the fishcakes on a medium heat for 5 minutes on each side. Serve with green salad, mayonnaise and lemon wedges.