Buttery, fruity, slightly tangy, and sweet, this Strawberry Apricot Galette is a wonderful dessert to enjoy while plenty of summer fruits are still in season.
Galettes are marvelous in that they are meant to be perfectly imperfect. It’s ok if your crust breaks a little. You don’t have to worry about garnishing it with an intricate lattice or fancy patterns. They are wonderful simply as they are.
Celebrating all the fruits in the summer, I am making a galette topped with almond filling and decorated with variety of fruits – apricots, strawberries, blackberries and blueberries. Something wonderful happens with the mixture. The apricots melt into a sweet perfection, while the berry fruits add a touch of tanginess.
The galette is not overly sweet. You may get away by serving it as it is, but I like to add an extra spoon of decadence and drizzle the galette with agave syrup, just before serving.
Every slice offers a perfect cookie crust, a soft and mellow almond layer that gently hugs the fruit and a delicious taste of vibrant fruit sensation. A summer in a plate!
- 2 cups baking flour, plus more for dusting
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp cold butter
- 7 to 8 tbsp ice water
- Pinch of salt
For the filling
- 7 tbsp almond flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
For the topping
- 4 apricots
- 8 strawberries
- 3 blackberries
- Handful of blueberries
- 8g vanilla sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp Agave syrup
Make the galette crust:
- In a large bowl, use a rubber spatula to mix together the flour, salt and sugar.
- Add the butter and rub it with your fingertips into the flour until the mixture forms a soft, sandy texture.
- Add 7 tablespoons of the ice-cold water, one tablespoon at a time, mixing it with a rubber spatula to incorporate, until the dough is no longer dry and crumbly, and there are no white streaks of flour visible. If the dough is still pretty crumbly, add the remaining tablespoon of water.
- Form the dough into a ball with your hands, wrap into transparent click film and place in the refrigerator (for at least 15 minutes, or up to 1 hour) while you prepare the galette filling.
For the galette filling:
- In a large bowl, mix together almond flower, egg, sugar and milk until into a thick, sticky paste.
For the topping:
- Wash and cut the apricots, strawberries and blackberries.
- Heat the oven to 200C. Place a large piece of parchment paper on a work surface and dust with flour. Flour a rolling pin. Transfer the chilled galette dough onto the parchment paper and roll it out into a circle. Trim the edges.
- Transfer the parchment paper and the dough onto a sheet pan.
- Spread the almond mixture onto the dough, leaving about 2cm of a border from the edge of the crust. Top with the apricot slices, forming a circular pattern. Add 2 strawberry circles in the middle and arrange the remaining fruit – apricot slices, blackberry slices and blueberries. Brush maple syrup on top of the fruit and sprinkle all over with vanilla sugar.
- Fold over the edges of the crust and brush the exposed edges with milk. Sprinkle the crust with coconut sugar and place in the oven. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the edges are golden.
- Once the galette has cooled, drizzle Agave syrup on top and serve.