Lighter than light and completely refreshing, this creamy no-cook cucumber soup makes a splendid side dish for summertime meals. The cool, mellow flavor of cucumber puréed with tangy natural yogurt creates a quick soup that pairs perfectly with grilled meats and veggies.
Traditionally, it is called “Tarator”, the yogurt is thick and heavy, the cucumber is cut into small pieces and added to the soup together with garlic, dill and walnuts. Nowadays there are so many modern varieties – have you tried adding mint or basil? The flavour remains delightfully refreshing. A perfect, cool, summer meal!
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled, halved and seeded
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 5 arugula salad leaves
1. Peel the cucumbers and cut length-wise on half. Remove the seeds and cut into small pieces.
2. In a blender, puree cucumbers, yogurt, lemon juice and zest, olive oil, garlic, dill, parsley, salt and ground black pepper until smooth. Pour into serving bowls.
3. Cut the tomatoes into small pieces. Top the soup with the tomatoes, arugula leaves and dill. Serve immediately.