A little pancetta goes a long way to adding richness and depth to the flavours in this tasty pasta dish. But the magic does not stop there. A dreamy cream cheese sauce adds a luxurious feeling to the tagliatelle. The salty hint of parmesan cheese delights the taste buds. Fresh parsley leaves add a contrast. And the real pièce de résistance, freshly grated lemon zest, revives the senses. A wonderful plate of food for a party dinner, weekend Sunday lunch or an everyday crowd pleaser!
- 400g tagliatelle
- ½ tsp of basil olive oil
- 200g cream cheese Philadelphia
- 400g mushrooms, chopped
- 100ml cream
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 75g pancetta, chopped
- 50g parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 lemon zest, finely grated
- ¼ cup parsley leaves, finely chopped
1. Cook the tagliatelle in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water and a few droplets of basil olive oil following packet directions, until tender.
2. Meanwhile, heat a dry pan and add the chopped pancetta. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes or until it is crisp. Place a side.
3. Chop the mushrooms and add them in the same pan where the pancetta has been cooked. The pancetta will release fat, but if needed add one table spoon of olive oil. Add the mushrooms and cook for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Add the cooked pancetta, the cream cheese and the cream. Stir until all is combined. If necessary loosen the sauce with some of the cooking liquid from the tagliatelle. Add a vegetable stock cube and let the sauce simmer for 5 minutes. Season with black pepper and salt.
4. Drain the tagliatelle and add to the mushroom sauce. Toss until well combined. Remove from heat.
5. Add parmesan, lemon zest and fresh parsley. Serve.