Recently, we have completely, madly, irrevocably fallen in love with beetroot. Sounds crazy, isn’t it? Even today, I am still wondering when did our food preferences become so healthy? In truth, our family love for veggies and fruits dates for a long time, but only since very recently we have allowed ourselves to be submerged predominantly into grains and greens. The effect has been outstanding. Feeling more energised and lighter, we do not miss on taste and we do not really need meat or fish to feel a satisfactory round-belly fullness. We remain balanced in our nutrition choices, eating fish once a week or maybe meat every two weeks, but that is really it. The remaining time we stick mainly to vegan or vegetarian dishes. As a vivid meat and potato lover, the greatest convert in our family is my husband, who is still astonished how many delicious food varieties we have discovered just in the span of two months.
Beetroot has been one of these discoveries. We have first fallen in love with it preparing Beetroot Hummus. Then we have extended its healthy use in Spinach, Beetroot and Feta salad and now recalling childhood memories of delicious dishes from his mother, my loved one has suggested that we prepare this beetroot and potato salad. Russian, German, Polish, Estonian or Finnish? You may pick you favourite name for it and it will be never wrong. It seems this salad is a party favourite side dish for a barbecue, picnic or even Christmas dinner in many Central and Northern European countries.
The recipe we recreate today combines beetroot, potatoes, pickled cucumbers, apples and carrots. Such a fresh and vibrant explosion of tender sweet and sour tastes and colours! Raw beetroot is 88% water, 10% carbohydrates, 2% protein, and less than 1% fat. In a 100-gram amount providing 43 calories, raw beetroot is a rich source of folate and a moderate source of manganese. Convinced in its nutritional benefits we remain open to experimentations, ready to try out new recipes. Stay tuned for more.
- 4 medium size boiled potatoes
- 4 medium size boiled red beets
- 1 carrot
- 1 apple
- 4 pickled cucumbers
- 1/2 cup of light mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup of yogurt (or sour cream)
- ground black pepper
1. Peel and cut in cubes the potatoes. Place them in an micro golf oven proof dish together with some water, cover with a lid and let them boil on 750W for 12-14 minutes. Once ready, drain the remaining water and let them cool completely.
2. I prefer to buy pre-boiled red beetroot, but if not available in your area you may always boil or roast your own red beets. If you are doing so, remove the skin, let them cool completely and then cut them into cubes.
3. Peel and dice the carrot into small cubes.
4. Peel, core and finely chop the apple into small cubes.
5. Cut the pickled cucumber into small cubes as well.
6. Mix all into a big salad bawl and season with salt and ground black pepper.
7. Add the mayonnaise and the yogurt (I prefer to use sour cream instead) and mix well.
8. Garnish with fresh parsley.