Sinking your teeth into a perfectly ripened sweet corn straight from the stalk is one of the finest pleasures of summer. I long for that moment all winter long. With the chillier spring weather we’ve had here recently, this vegan corn chowder recipe has become a new favourite way to eat this summertime treat. I know, sweet corn soup may sound kind of strange. At least, not something we are familiar with in Eastern or for that matter Western Europe. Yet, the taste is absolutely amazing!
Making the soup is easy. Just gather a few basic ingredients, mix in a soup and let the cooking do its magic. As a vegan friendly soup, all you will need is a can or fresh sweet corn, a can of coconut milk, zest and juice of a lime, coconut oil, an onion and fresh coriander. The flavour is out of this world. It’s sweet, spicy and creamy. The garnishes are definitely a must, so please don’t skimp on them!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- fresh coriander
1. Add the coconut oil to a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and sauté until lightly browned and tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and corn. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in coconut milk and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are soft and the soup is fragrant, about 15-20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Use an immersion blender and puree the soup until smooth.
4. Stir in the lime zest and juice. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired.
5. Serve the soup in individual bowls and garnish with plenty of corn kernels and fresh coriander.