Are you looking for a healthier alternative to the old fashioned creamy broccoli soup? You came in the right place – we’ve made a rich and delicious healthy broccoli soup, loaded with nutrients and made a few replacements to make it easier to digest and lower in calories!
Making cream soups is no rocket science, but in fact one of the easiest dishes you can make in the kitchen. This healthy cream of broccoli soup makes no exception. Cream soups can easily thicken using starches such as potatoes, arrowroot or cornstarch. We want to stay away from these, because we’re cooking a healthier alternative, so we’re simply relying on a large quantity of vegetables versus liquids. If you are wondering if cream thickens the soup, it actually gives it a velvety texture, rather than thickening it. In this recipe, most of the creaminess comes from the courgette, but for added luxury and flavour I am incorporating a few table spoons of vegan coconut yogurt as well.
Making the soup is easy. First, prep your ingredients – rinse and dice your veggies, and grate the vegan cheese. Add all the veggies except broccoli into a large soup pot, cover with water, bring to boil and simmer until tender. Then, add the broccoli and simmer five minutes more. The classic recipe calls for adding the broccoli right from the start, in my easier to prepare way they remain vibrant green and full with nutrients rather than going soggy brown. At the end, add the vegan cheese and coconut vegan, lactose free yogurt and blend everything until smooth. Serve!
- 1 broccoli head large, cut into small florets
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 large bunch fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 courgette diced
- 3 tbsp vegan coconut yogurt
- 1/3 cup vegan cheese grated
- 2 cubes vegetable bouillon
- 1 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- a few sunflower and pumpkin seeds
1. Heat a table spoon of olive oil in a medium soup pot and add the chopped onion. Soften gently for a few minutes.
2. Add the carrots and the courgette and cover with boilings water.
2. Add the vegetable bouillon cubes and bring to boil over medium heat, then simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
3. Add the broccoli and simmer 5 minutes more.
4. Add the cheese and parsley, season with salt and pepper and use a hand mixer to blend everything until very creamy.
5. Add the yogurt and process to incorporate.
6. Divide into serving bowls, decorate with fresh parsley and sunflower and pumpkin seeds and serve warm.