Spring is finally here. Gentle and pale, sweet flower scented and sunny warm. It does not take long for the body to start craving the outdoors, to run, to breathe, to live. To lay in the meadows and tickle the toes in the fresh green grass. To chase the birds in the sky. To stop and to listen to nature.
Happy spring dreams and happy spring thoughts also come with happy spring meals. As if the renewal of life comes with a renewal of dishes and herbs and the body starts to crave for lighter and happier meals. Like this spring pear and fennel salad, for example. What a zinging perfection of vibrant sweet sour flavours, waking the inner world to life. I love every single bite of it. Every promise for the coming summer time adventures. Meals and dreams and hopes. A happy heart in a plate of food, kissed by the sun light.
- 2 pears, thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced
- Cucumber slices
- handful of radish, slices
- handful of water cress sprouts
- handful of rocket salad
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tbs apple juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- fresh dill
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1. In a large bowl, combine a little bit of water and the juice of 1 lemon. Thinly slice the cucumber, radish, pear and fennel and place the slices in the water immediately after to avoid oxidation.
2. To make the vinaigrette, whisk together the mustard, apple cider vinegar, honey, apple juice and olive oil.
3. Take the vegetables from the water. Arrange the sliced vegetables and pear in a plate and top with the water cress sprouts and rocket salad leaves. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle the vinaigrette on top and fresh dill.