Pale and delicate the asparagus is not precisely everybody’s cup of tea. Still, adored by many and avoided by a few, it could hardly make its presence unnoticed when its early April and the Easter holidays are only a few days away. It is such an iconic ingredient of the Belgian Easter festivities. Whether subtly flavouring a delicious cream soup, warm fresh vegetable salad or a salmon meal, the asparagus always leaves a lasting impression. Even more so in this simple variation of boiled asparagus in egg and butter sauce.
- 25 asparagus
- 3 tbsp of melted butter
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp minced parsley
- salt and pepper
1. Trim the outer skin of the asparagus.
2. Boil them for at least 45 min in plenty of water in a deep pot over a medium heat.
3. Boil the eggs and let them cool a little.
4. Melt the butter and mix it together with the boiled eggs, crushing them with a fork and seasoning with the lemon juice, minced parsley, salt and pepper.
5. Drain the water from the asparagus, arrange in a dish and serve generously spooning over the egg and butter sauce.