Doesn’t even the title of this exquisite dessert sound enticing? I can even assure you that the taste is equaly divine.
I grew up at home with my mother preparing this special treat for us from time to time and my father teasing that he is having a lady’s caprice quite often and he wouldn’t mind to taste a gentleman’s caprice for ones, leaving my mother radiant and smiling.
I do not recall for any caprice ever dominating our household, apart from this delicious heavenly dessert.
Light and fragrant, every bite begins with the taste of roasted walnuts and the crunch of sweet meringue, evolving into mellow softness, contrasted by the zesty sharpness of the strawberry jam and the pleasant gooey texture of the cake.
As innocently delightful and adorable as lady’s caprice, indeed.
- 4 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 250g sugar
- 125g butter, melted
- 250g yogurt
- 400g plain flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 150g walnuts, chopped
- 250g strawberry jam
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Mix together the egg yolks, half of the sugar, the melted butter until fluffy and light, then gradually add one at a time the yogurt and then the plain flower mixed with the baking powder.
3. Spread the mixture evenly on a 28×24сm baking form laid with baking parchment. Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes until the cake is golden brown.
4. In the meantime, prepare the meringue by beating the egg whites and the remaining sugar until hard peaks are formed.
5. Spread evenly the strawberry jam over the baked cake. Top with the whipped meringue spreading evenly and scattering on top the chopped walnuts. Place the cake back in the oven and bake for additional 5 to 10 minutes or until the edges of the meringue have become golden brown.
6. Take out of the oven and let it cool completely. Cut the cake in squares and serve.