Summertime, and the livin’ is easy. Fish are jumpin’ and the cotton is high.
Oh, your daddy’s rich and your ma is good-lookin’. So hush, little baby, don’t you cry.
George Gershwin’s song is gently playing in my mind while preparing this delicious summertime strawberries tiramisu.
Yes, every bite is a joy, the summer is high and nothing could be easier than preparing this tempting summer feast – to be shared eating together from one large family bowl tucking hungrily into this heavenly sweetness spoonfuls of delight.
- 165g caster sugar
- 10 tbsp Amaretto Disaronno
- 30 sponge lady fingers
- 6 free-range eggs, separated
- 325ml double cream
- 500g mascarpone cheese
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 150g strawberries, sliced
- 100g raspberries
- Mint leaves
1. Dip half the sponge fingers in the amaretto, then lay them on the bottom of a serving dish.
2. Place a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Add the egg yolks and the caster sugar to the bowl and whisk to combine. When the sugar has melted, remove the bowl from the heat and whisk the egg yolks until pale, doubled in volume and creamy. Pour into a cool bowl and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. In a large bowl, beat the cream until thick. Fold the mascarpone into the cream, then fold in the egg yolks until combined. Fold in the egg whites and vanilla extract.
4. Spread a layer of the mixture over the soaked sponge fingers then add a layer of strawberries and raspberries. Continue layering the sponge fingers, creamy mixture and strawberries and raspberries. Cover with cling film and place in the fridge to chill for two hours.
5. Just before serving garnish with fresh strawberries and raspberries and mint leaves.