Summer life sometimes can be so simple. Plenty of sunshine, afternoon rest in the shade, walks among nature marveling all creation. To rest, to live, to breathe. Even food does not need to be complicated. A fresh ripe tomato from the garden can inspire multitude of meals. Today however my easygoing lunch is something different. After days of lean and light garden salads the body is longing for something more protein rich and full of taste.
I am making a white kidney beans, bacon and red pepper salad with plenty of fresh greens. You may always put the white beans in plenty of water the night before and let them soak through the night. This will easy and quicken the cooking process and allow you to have soft and plum cooked kidney beans. Boiling the beans takes approximately up to two hours, depending on the white bean sort. To quicken the process, instead of boiling my own beans, I am choosing to buy ready made once from the store. It only takes a few moments to drain the water and fry them in the pan, and I could use all my time to really enjoy the summer day rather than cooking for hours in the kitchen. The same goes for the red bell peppers. You may always use fresh once and lightly fry them in the pan or like me opt for canned version.
To prepare the salad, first fry the bacon until crispy brown. Once ready set aside. Add the beans in the same frying pan and season generously with salt and ground black pepper. Once the beans have taken a shine and have absorbed the lovely flavours from the bacon you may take them out and serve directly on a plate. Mix together with the crispy bacon, bred bell peppers, micro greens and plenty of fresh mint leaves. Mix well, eat well and enjoy the summer.
- 250g can white kidney beans
- 100g speak
- 250g can marinated red bell peppers
- fresh micro greens
- fresh mint leaves
- ground black pepper
- 1tbsp olive oil
1. Heat one table spoon of olive oil in a medium size pan.
2. Add the bacon and fry gently for a few minutes until lightly brown. Take the bacon out and set aside.
3. Open the can of white beans and drain the water. Add the beans to the frying pan using the same oil from the bacon and let them fry for a few minutes.
4. Season with salt and ground black pepper.
5. One the can of marinated red bell peppers. Take out one and cut it in small stripes.
6. To prepare the salad mix the bacon, the beans, the bell peppers with fresh micro greens and mint leaves.