How to live a healthy lifestyle? Easy question, but the honest answer sometimes includes a lot of “Well(s)…”. Cooking healthy at home might be a joy and pleasure and no hardship at all. But surviving the multiple temptations at the office is another matter altogether – free mini chocolates next to the coffee machine, lunch canteen full of delicious high calorie delights (pasta, grilled steak, French fries, French baguette sandwiches, cakes… Did I mention cakes?) and for the late hours office workers there are always the packed with sweets machines. One must not complain, western living has advantages and what might seem excess to one might seem a dream to others. Yet still it takes a real courage and determination to stay focused and sometimes despite the temptation say “No”.
I have learned to substitute mini chocolates during coffee breaks with home brought apples and bananas. Whenever possible, I have learned to bring my own home made sandwiches and salads. They might not always strike the random observer with classy elegance and poise, but they feel lighter and make me move thought my day in balanced health.
This delicious tarragon chicken sandwich is an amazing alternative for an office lunch. Served as a salad with some greens, as a sandwich with some toasted slices of bread, or even as a filling for a tacos wrap – it is light and fragrant and absolutely divine! A new office lunch quick and easy to prepare and a taste to fall in love – what else may we wish in an office day?
- 2 cooked chicken breasts (roasted or poached chicken breasts)
- 1 cup chopped celery stick
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- sprouts or micro greens
- Serve on toasted bread or over a lightly dressed bed of greens (butter lettuce, watercress, mache, purslane)
1. Pan fry the chicken breasts until tender and caramelised but still moist.
2. Cut or shred chicken into bite-sized pieces and place in a medium bowl.
3. Cut the celery stick into pieces.
3. Add the celery to the chicken together with the mayonnaise, the mustard and the freshly chopped tarragon mixing and incorporating all.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Drizzle a few droplets of olive oil in a grilling pan. Fry two slices of bread over a medium heat, turning each side until golden brown.
5. Serve the chicken tarragon filling topped with micro green sprouts between two toasted slices of bread.